The USA is the dream study-abroad destination for many international students from around the globe. The USA offers excellent educational opportunities for more than one million international students! It is known for its high academic standards and interactive learning methods. However, the USA is considered one of the most expensive destinations to study abroad. And the first question that an international student finds himself asking is “Can I afford the cost of studying in the USA?”. Actually, the study cost in the USA can be cheaper than you think since there are many options for all.
So through this comprehensive guide, you will get all the necessary information about the cost of studying in the USA for international students, for all study levels.
Also, I am sure you will find what suits you to pursue your ambition of studying in the USA!
Top reasons why international students choose to study in the USA
The United States attracts thousands of international students each year. Around 1,075,496 international students from all over the world choose to study in the USA. This makes it the NUMBER ONE study destination for foreign students. But, have you wondered why international students choose to study in the USA?
Here are some of the most important advantages of studying in the USA:
- Quality education: American universities offer high-quality excellent education and services. Although tuition fees at US universities are high, they are regarded as the most respected in the world. Many of them rank among the most famous and recognized schools.
- Education for all: In the USA, people are welcoming and accepting of diversity. As a result, everyone, regardless of their race or nationality, has the right to receive an excellent education.
- Diverse academic programs: US schools offer a wide range of programs that are in high demand both among students and in the global job market. Some of these programs are unique and may not be found in other countries, or if they are, they may not be as competitive
- Accessible scholarships: Although the cost of studying in the USA is high, there are a lot of scholarships and grants offered by US universities and even the government to international students. However, each scholarship has its own requirements giving priority to those who meet them. This will provide valuable assistance with students’ studies and living expenses.
These advantages and more have made studying in the USA a cherished goal for many aspiring students.
How much does it cost to study in the USA for international students?
Before you start planning your study journey in the USA, it is very important to have an overall idea about the cost of studying and living there.
You need to meet all financial requirements in order to get your admission letter and student visa. In other words, having enough funds to study in the USA, is a vital factor that determines your eligibility to study there
So if you are wondering how much does it cost to study in the USA, here you will be able to identify the average cost for each study level:
Generally, it can be said that the average cost of studying in the USA for international students in 2023 ranges between $15,000-$50,000 per year, which covers university tuition fees only. In addition, the average living cost for international students in the USA are around $12,000 per year.
1. Cost of studying English language in the USA for international students
If you’re interested in learning English abroad, the USA is a great choice! The cost of studying English in the USA varies depending on the institution and course duration. For instance, the cost of studying English in the US for 6 months is between $12,000 – $20,000, including housing and other living expenses.
However, if you prefer to study English at a US university, an ESL program (English as a second language) is the ideal option for you! ESL classes at university are taught per semester. The duration is usually between 1-3 semesters.
A full-time ESL program for international students in the USA costs between $3,000 to $8,000 per semester (tuition fees only).
2. Cost of studying High school in the USA for international students
There are two options for international students to study high school in the USA: public and private high schools. Public high schools are definitely cheaper. However, international students on F-1 student visas can only study at public high schools for a maximum of 12 months. After that, they need to transfer to a private high school if they want to continue their studies.
The cost of studying high school in the USA for international students ranges between $22,000 to $60,000 per academic year. This cost varies greatly depending on the state, city, county, and/or individual school.
Also, international students have the option to join a US boarding school, where students not only receive education but also reside on campus throughout the academic year.
3. Cost of studying in boarding schools in the USA for international students
The word “boarding” is used in the sense of “room and board”. So students can study and live in the same boarding school throughout the academic year. However, bear in mind that Classes for international students are allowed from Grade 6 to Grade 12.
The cost of studying in boarding schools in the USA for international students ranges between $40,000 to $80,000 per year. This includes tuition, accommodation, food, and health insurance. However, students still have to pay for transportation, activities, and personal expenses, which range between $2000 to $3000 per year.
- 10 Important facts about boarding schools in United States
- Types of boarding schools in the United States of America
4. Cost of studying in community colleges in the USA for international students
Community colleges in the USA are an excellent choice for international students on a tight budget. However, the duration of most programs in US community colleges is only two years. It is referred to as an associate degree.
If the students want to earn a bachelor’s degree, they can start at a community college for the first two years. Afterward, they need to transfer to a US university to continue their education and graduate with a four-year bachelor’s degree.
This way, the students can earn credits and save a lot of money during the first two years of studies at a US community college.
The yearly tuition fees in a US community college for international students ranges between $3000 to $15,000 per year.
5. The cost of studying undergraduate degree in the USA for international students
US universities offer a wide range of majors for international students. But, bear in mind that the cost of an undergraduate degree in the USA differs among specializations, locations, and universities.
The average tuition fees for studying an undergraduate degree at a US public university for international students is around $26,000 per year.
However, undergraduate tuition fees at private US universities are higher, and the average cost of studying is around $36,000 per year.
In some cases, the cost to get an undergraduate degree in the USA might even exceed $50,000 per year for specific programs, such as medicine.
6. Cost of studying Master’s degree in the USA for international students
US universities offer a wide range of master’s degree programs with the highest education quality and excellence. So the cost of studying Master’s degree in the USA for international students ranges between $10,000 to $80,000 per year.
The cost varies depending on the university’s ranking, specialty, location, and many other factors. However, international students might find master’s degree programs in the USA with tuition fees of less than $15,000 per year.
7. The cost of studying Ph.D. degree in the USA for international students
A Ph.D. degree in the USA is the highest possible academic degree attainable. Generally, it provides the student with the tools and training to become professionally involved with academic research. In addition, The duration of a Doctoral degree in the USA is between 4-6 years (full time).
The cost of studying Ph.D. degree in the USA for international students ranges between $25,000 to $50,000 per year in public universities, however, it starts from 30,000 per year in private ones.
Can I study in the USA for free as an international student?
So many international students in the USA find scholarships and financial aid to help them with tuition fees and/or living costs. Therefore, we highly recommend you search and look for scholarships that match your qualifications.
The most famous fully-funded scholarship in the US is the Fulbright Scholarship. Additionally, most US universities offer their own scholarship programs that are either partially or fully funded grants.
Best scholarships in the US for international students in 2023-2024:
- Fulbright Scholarships USA: offered for masters and PhD studies and covers full tuition fee, a living stipend, full accommodation fee, airfare, and health insurance.
- Stanford University Scholarships: offered for masters and Ph.D. studies. Also, it is a full tuition fee, traveling allowance, Living allowance, and academic expenses.
- Yale University Scholarships USA: offered for undergraduate, master’s and PhD. It can vary from a few hundred dollars to over $70,000 per year; however, the average Yale need-based scholarship is over $50,000.
- University of New Haven Scholarship: a fully-funded scholarship for master’s studies. It covers 75% of tuition expenses.
- University of Memphis Scholarships
- University of Minnesota Fellowship: a fully-funded scholarship for undergraduate and master’s studies.
- AAUW International Fellowship Program: a fully-funded scholarship for Master’s studies. Also, it covers tuition costs, Living expenses, Travel, and health insurance.
- ACI Foundation Scholarship: a fully-funded scholarship and it covers $18,000 to $30,000 per year. It is only available for graduate and post-graduate studies in any subject offered by the university.
- Onsi Sawiris Scholarship: a fully-funded scholarship or fellowship for undergraduate, master’s, PhD, and Postdoctoral studies. Also, It provides a $10,000 – $15,000 US educational stipend for tuition, residence, books, and materials.
Cheapest universities to study in the USA for international students
There are around 1,660 private universities and colleges in the USA and approximately 1,625 public educational institutions Despite the fact that the average cost of study in the USA is around 30,000 for undergraduate and 25,000 for graduate programs, many US universities offer high-quality education with affordable tuition fees.
Here is a list of some of the cheapest universities to study in the USA for international students with a high acceptance rate:
|University name||Bachelor’s degree cost (Annually)||postgraduate studies cost (Annually)|
|1. California State University, Long Beach||$17,142||$15,500|
|2. Murray state University||$18,348||$14,600|
|3. Atlantic University||$18,000||$9,000|
|4. Kent State University||$20,799||$11,142|
|5. Western Illinois University||$16,700||$16,000|
|6. Montana State Universty_ BOZEMAN||$28,264||$17,688|
|7. University of Dayton||$44,890||$17,780|
|8. Mercer University||$38,746||$15,264|
|9. Cleveland State University||$16,480||$18,229|
|10. University of South Alabama||$20,840||$16,244|
Golden Gate Study Abroad agency takes great pride in being a trusted partner for these universities. Feel free to submit your application for our review, and our team of experts will guide and support you throughout the process of obtaining your admission letter.
Most expensive universities in the USA for international students
If you wonder how much would you pay to study at one of the most expensive universities in the USA, so here is a list of the highest-priced four-year colleges in the US, by total annual cost.
|University name||Annual Cost|
|1. Scripps College||$77,696|
|2. Harvey Mudd College||$77.589|
|3. University of Chicago||$77,556|
|4. Dartmouth College||$77,131|
|5. Columbia University||$76.920|
|6. University of Pennsylvania||$76.826|
|7. Amherst College||$76,800|
|8. University: School of General Studies||$76.744|
|9. Georgetown University||$76.572|
|10. Brown University||76.504|
We understand that the cost of studying in the USA is a crucial factor for international students. That’s why we have created this comprehensive guide on the cost of studying in the USA. With the right guidance and support, you can pursue your education at top universities in the US while staying within your budget.
We at GGSA are willing to help and support our students who aspire to study in the US. If you are interested in pursuing your education in the United States, Golden Gate is here to assist you throughout the entire application process.
To get started, please complete the application form by clicking on the link below. Within 24 hours, one of our advisors will contact you to provide guidance and assistance with all the necessary procedures.