The USA is the dream study abroad destination for many international students from around the globe. The privileges that the USA offers its students need no introduction! As the United States’ high standards of education reflect the country’s adherence to high academic research and interactive learning development that keeps pace with the times. However, the USA is considered one of the most expensive destinations to study abroad. And the first question that an international student finds himself asking is “can I afford the cost of studying in the USA?”. The study cost in the USA can be cheaper than what you think since there are many options for all.
So through this full guide, you will get all the necessary information about the cost of studying in the USA for international students, for all study levels. Also, I am sure you will find what suits you to pursue your ambition of studying there!
Top reasons why international students choose to study in the USA
The United States attracts thousands of international students each year. Statistics highlight that the number of international students in the USA is approximately 1,075,496. This makes the USA the NUMBER ONE study destination for students from around the world. So, have you wondered why international students choose to study in the USA? Here are some of the most important advantages of studying there:
- Accredited academic institutions: American universities offer high-quality education and services. Also they are regarded as the most respected in the world. Many of them rank among the most famous and recognized schools.
- Education is everyone’s right: American people are very hospitable and accepting of other people’s differences. As a result, the right to an education is guaranteed to all races and nations.
- Diversity of academic programs: American schools provide a wide range of programs that are in high demand among students and the worldwide labor market. Some of which are very distinctive and may not be found in other destinations, and if they exist, they will not be with the same competency.
- Scholarships accessibility: There are a lot of scholarships and grants offered by US universities and even the government to international students. However, each financial aid has its own standards and requirements giving priority to those who meet them. This will help students get some help with their studies and living expenses.
Countless advantages have made studying in the USA a goal that every aspirant aims to fulfill.
How much does it cost to study in the USA for international students?
Before planning your way to study in the USA, it is very important to have an overall idea about the cost of studying and living there. You need to fulfill all financial requirements in order to get your admission letter and student visa. In other words, having enough funds to study in the USA, is a critical part that determines your eligibility to study there.
So if you are wondering how much does it cost to study in the USA, here you will be able to identify the average cost for each study level:
Generally, it can be said that the average cost of studying in the USA for international students ranges between $15,000-$50,000 per year. Which only includes university tuition fees. In addition, the average living cost for international students in the USA is around 12,000 per year.
1. Cost of studying the English language in the USA for international students
If learning English abroad is on your to-do list, then the USA is the perfect destination to do so! The cost of learning English in the USA depends on the institution and English course duration. For instance, the cost of studying English in the US for 6 months is between $12,000-$20,000, including housing and other living expenses.
However, if you prefer to study English at a university in the USA, an ESL program (English as a second language) is the ideal option for you! ESL classes at the university are taught per semester. The duration is usually between 1-3 semesters. A full-time ESL program in the USA costs between $3,000 to $8,000 per semester (tuition fees only).
2. Cost of studying High school in the USA for international students
There are two options for international students to study high school in the USA: public and private high schools. Public high schools are definitely cheaper. However, international students on F-1 student visas may study at public high schools for a maximum period of 12 months. Later on, they have to transfer to a private high school if they wish to continue their studies.
The cost of studying high school in the USA ranges between $22,000 to $60,000 per academic year. This cost varies greatly depending on the state, city, county, and/or individual school. Also, international students have the option to join a US boarding school.
3. Cost of studying in boarding schools in the USA for international students
The word “boarding” is used in the sense of “room and board”. So students can study and live in the same boarding school throughout the academic year. However, bear in mind that Classes for international students are allowed from Grade 6 to Grade 12.
The cost of studying in boarding schools in the USA for international students ranges between $40,000 to $80,000 per year. This includes tuition, accommodation, food, and health insurance. However, students still have to pay for transportation, activities, and personal expenses, which range between $2000 to $3000 per year.
- 10 Important facts about boarding schools in United States
- Types of boarding schools in the United States of America
4. Cost of studying in community colleges in the USA for international students
Community colleges in the USA are an excellent choice for international students on a tight budget. However, the duration of most programs in US community colleges is only two years. If the student would like to get a bachelor’s degree, he/she may join community college for two years. However, the student has to transfer to a US university to continue his/her education and graduate with a 4-year bachelor’s degree. This way, the students can earn credits and save a lot of money during the first two years of studies at a US community college.
The cost of studying in community colleges for international students ranges between $3000 to $15,000 per year.
5. The cost of studying an undergraduate degree in the USA for international students
American universities offer a wide range of majors for international students. But, bear in mind that the cost of an undergraduate degree in the USA differs among specializations, locations, and universities.
The average cost of studying an undergraduate degree at a public US university for international students is around $26,000. However, private US universities are more expensive, and the average cost is around $36,000 per year. In some cases, the cost to get a bachelor’s degree might even exceed $50,000 per year for specific programs, such as medicine.
6. Cost of studying Master’s degree in the USA for international students
American universities offer a wide range of master’s degree programs with the highest education quality and excellence. So the cost of studying a Master’s degree in the USA for international students ranges between $10,000 to $80,000 per year.
The cost varies depending on the university ranking, specialty, location, and many other factors. However, students might find master’s degree programs with tuition fees less than $15,000 per year.
7. The cost of studying Ph.D. degree in the USA for international students
A Ph.D. degree in the USA is the highest possible academic degree attainable. Generally, it provides the student with the tools and training to become professionally involved with academic research. In addition, The duration of a Doctoral degree in the USA is between 4-6 years (full time).
The cost of studying a Ph.D. degree in the USA for international students ranges between $25,000 to $50,000 per year in public universities, however, it starts from 30,000 per year in private ones.
Can I study in the USA for free as an international student?
Many international students find scholarships and financial aid to help them with tuition fees and/or living costs. Therefore, we highly recommend you search and look for scholarships that go along with your qualifications.
Maybe the most famous fully-funded scholarship in the US is the Fulbright Scholarship. Usually,most US universities have their own scholarships programs that are either partial or full-funded grants. Therefore, students must have sufficient funds to cover living expenses and the rest of the tuitions in case of partial funding.
To help you more with your research, here is a list of some of the most famous scholarships in the US for 2022-2023:
- Fulbright Scholarships USA: offered for masters and PhD studies and covers full tuition fee, a living stipend, full accommodation fee, airfare, and health insurance.
- Stanford University Scholarships: offered for masters and Ph.D. studies. Also, it is a full tuition fee, traveling allowance, Living allowance, and academic expenses.
- Yale University Scholarships USA: offered for undergraduate, master’s and PhD. It can vary from a few hundred dollars to over $70,000 per year; however, the average Yale need-based scholarship is over $50,000.
- University of New Haven Scholarship: a fully-funded scholarship for master’s studies. It covers 75% of tuition expenses.
- University of Memphis Scholarships
- University of Minnesota Fellowship: a fully-funded scholarship for undergraduate and master’s studies.
- AAUW International Fellowship Program: a fully-funded scholarship for Master’s studies. Also, it covers tuition costs, Living expenses, Travel, and health insurance.
- ACI Foundation Scholarship: a fully-funded scholarship and it covers $18,000 to $30,000 per year. It is only available for graduate and post-graduate studies in any subject offered by the university.
- Onsi Sawiris Scholarship: a fully-funded scholarship or fellowship for undergraduate, master’s, PhD, and Postdoctoral studies. Also, It provides a $10,000 – $15,000 US educational stipend for tuition, residence, books, and materials.
Cheapest universities to study in the USA for international students
There are around 1,660 private universities and colleges in the USA and approximately 1,625 public educational institutions Despite the fact that the average cost of study in the USA is around 30,000 for undergraduate and 25,000 for graduate programs, many US universities offer high-quality education with affordable tuition fees.
Here is a list of some of the cheapest universities to study in the USA for international students with a high acceptance rate:
|University name||Bachelor’s degree cost (Annually)||postgraduate studies cost (Annually)|
|1. California State University, Long Beach||$17,142||$15,500|
|2. Murray state University||$18,348||$14,600|
|3. Atlantic University||$18,000||$9,000|
|4. Kent State University||$20,799||$11,142|
|5. Western Illinois University||$16,700||$16,000|
|6. Montana State Universty_ BOZEMAN||$28,264||$17,688|
|7. University of Dayton||$44,890||$17,780|
|8. Mercer University||$38,746||$15,264|
|9. Cleveland State University||$16,480||$18,229|
|10. University of South Alabama||$20,840||$16,244|
Most expensive universities in the USA for international students
If you wonder how much would you pay to study at one of the most expensive universities in the USA, so here is a list of the highest-priced four-year colleges in the US, by total annual cost.
|University name||Annual Cost|
|1. Scripps College||$77,696|
|2. Harvey Mudd College||$77.589|
|3. University of Chicago||$77,556|
|4. Dartmouth College||$77,131|
|5. Columbia University||$76.920|
|6. University of Pennsylvania||$76.826|
|7. Amherst College||$76,800|
|8. University: School of General Studies||$76.744|
|9. Georgetown University||$76.572|
|10. Brown University||76.504|
We know that the cost of studying in the USA is one of the most important thing for international students, therefore we tried to create this comprehensive guide of tuition fees in the USA. So we hope that you all now have a better understanding of studying costs in the US. And with the right help and direction, you can enroll in the best universities in the US while remaining within your monetary capacity.
We at GGSA are willing to help and support our students as they seek to study in the US. So if you want to study in the United States, Golden Gate can assist you with all phases of the application process. Simply fill in the application pressing on the link below, and one of our advisors will reach you within 24 hours to guide and assist you with all of the procedures!